Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Potato And Herb Bread




Today I thought it was time to put thought into action, I had been mulling over the idea of combining potato and herbs in a loaf  of lovely white soft bread.


I decided that the first step to get the ball moving would be to commit to the flavour combination that I was looking for. The potato's would of course be succulent and young and then tenderly roasted with Rosemary and Thyme, then drizzled with olive old and salt cracked over the top of them. I have to omit I'm not a big fan of potato's but these were some dam fine potato's just on their wee lonesome!

Next the bread needed to be soft and moist but have a crisp outer crust , for I'm a sucker for bread with a tasty crust. The bread, I therefore chose to use was a packet mix which I'm ashamed  to omit , but it always turns out so tasty and fool proof what ever you do with it! I used Laucke Flours : Crusty White Bread mix. Feel free to use whatever bread recipe you feel like using on the day , or if you have an special favourite that you think could use a twist.


The result was just what I had pictured, It all went to plan other than being slightly under cooked around the potato's which I simply fixed by putting it back into the oven for another 10 minutes. I chose to use the bead for our family's lunch, I paired it up with some Italian style beans that I had already in the fridge  and some lovely homemade Hummas dip, then to finish it off I garnished it with sliced Avocado and some velvety fetta.


Recipe 
Beard:
It is really up to you to chose what bread you want to use, I just added 3 sprigs of Rosemary and Thyme to my dough mix and put it into my bread maker on a dough cycle.

Herbed Potato's:
About 10 baby potato's ,washed and quartered
3 or 4 sprigs fresh Rosemary
Same of fresh Thyme
4 cloves garlic
Olive oil
Salt

Pre heat oven to 180 c Fan forced .
In a lined baking dish place your cut and washed potato's, garlic and herbs with the stems removed from them.
Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with salt to taste and then bake uncovered for about 30 minutes or until golden and crisp , then leave to cool.

The Bread:
Once the dough is ready  mixed in the roasted potato's until they are evenly dispersed. Then place into greased bread tin and bake at 180c fan forced for about 30-40 minutes, once the bread looks golden on top and is hollow to tap bake for a further 10 min to make sure that the dough is cooked around the potato's.

Enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment